Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Historic Home Tour pt. 2

I had some realizations while on the tour of historic homes:

1. I LOVE old homes!! 

     I grew up in an older home and didn't appreciate it at all! I love the character and charm and details that you can't find in anything built after the 1970's. I know that where we will  move doesn't have a lot (or any) old homes. I also know that I am sacrificing an old home with tons of charm, for great schools where the teachers actually care. 

2. My children aren't going to grow-up with the diversity I had growing up.

My kids aren't going to have a best friend they meet in Pre-K that is half Italian and from NYC or a black, gay, male kindergarten boyfriend. These are all experiences I am darn proud to have had and people I am glad to know. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad my kids probably aren't going to have some of the same kinds of experiences. The community where we will live there is very little diversity, however it may change and grow there is hope. They will also grow up around family that loves them.

3. I hate how close city homes are to one another and how a reputable neighborhood can be a block away from a not so reputable neighborhood. 

I love how in smaller country towns the lot sizes (for the most part) are huge, you have more than a drive way or small strip of grass between you and your neighbor. Also, in the city the nice part of town can be next to a cruddy part of town. In fact, while on the historic homes tour there was a shooting a few blocks down from where my mother and I were standing and we heard it  and when walking back to our car saw the suspect being arrested less than half a block from our car. Yes, you have ignorant idiots everywhere, it's just fewer and further between in a smaller sized town and not as likely to be on your door step! 



I just can't wait to finally get our own place. (don't ask me when, it's still a little ways off.) 


Until then, it's okay to dream and right now I'm dreaming about this cute little home. 

3 comments:

  1. Where are you moving to?

    PS- Those homes in your last post look amazing.

    PSS- Thanks for the shout out (I'm the black, gay kindergarten boyfriend, for all you who don't know)! heh. :)

    I think the babes will probably meet some kids from different backgrounds no matter where they go! I learned a ton from all the kids who lived in tiny country towns when I moved to Boone. That was diversity for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra, we're moving to King, NC where my aunt and uncle and cousin and her family live. (where I lived the last couple years of high school.) And they will find the friends there that are diverse or they can learn from, I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love love LOVE old homes too- I've never lived on my own in a newer home- we lived in Reidsville and had the pleasure of living in an older style home and I miss that we had to move away from there. I like the style of the windows and door ways <3

    you'll have a home of your own sooner than you know it love. I am excited about the many opportunities that await you and your little family <3

    ReplyDelete